Yellow Split Pea & Bacon Soup
Servings 2 people
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 stick celery diced
- 2 slices bacon roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 150 g yellow split peas
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 100 ml warm water
- 1 bay leaf
- Add a splash of oil to a heavy bottomed ban and fry the bacon until crispy then remove from the pan and set asside.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes until soft then add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes and then add the carrot celery and smoked paprika and cook for another 5.
- Add the stock, water, bay leaf and split peas to the pan, cover with a lid and gently simmer for at least an hour until the split peas have softened adding more water if necessary.
- Take the soup off the heat and leave to cool slightly before blending roughly with a handheld blender. Add the bacon to the pan and stir to mix well and then serve.