Source: Spicy pumpkin soup
Spicy Pumpkin Soup
Servings 4 people
- 1 pumpkin 1.5kg to 2kg
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 0.5 tsp chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cm ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves gralic peeled and finely chopped
- 900 ml vegetable stock
- 100 ml double cream or crème fraiche
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Peel the pumpkin and cut in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. Cut the halves into 2cm chunks and put into a bowl.
- Put the garam masala, and 1 tsp each of the coriander and cumin into a small bowl and mix with 2 tbsp of the oil and season. Drizzle over the pumpkin and toss well to coat in the spiced oil.
- Transfer the pumpkin chunks to a baking tray, spread out evenly and roast for 40-45 mins, turning halfway through cooking, until the pumpkin is very soft when pierced with a fork. Leave to cool on the tray for a few minutes.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion with a pinch of salt for 10 mins until soft. Add the ginger, garlic and remaining spices and chilli flakes, and fry for a few more minutes until fragrant. Pour in the stock and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the soft pumpkin to the stock pan. Remove from the heat and blitz the soup with a hand blender until creamy and smooth. Season to taste, adding extra chilli or garam masala if you like. Put back over a low heat and stir in the cream. Bring to a gentle simmer, then serve.