Source: Sri Lanka: The Cookbook
Spicy Baked Chicken
- 8 chicken thighs bone in
- 1 onion small, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1.5 cm ginger peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 0.5 tbsp ground cumin
- 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 5 black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Put all the ingredients other than the chicken thighs in a food processor and blitz until you have a coarse paste, add a splash of water if the paste is too dry.
- Add the chicken thighs to a shallow baking dish, cover with the spice paste and rub it into the chicken pieces.
- Leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 180C, cover the baking dish with perforated tin foil and bake for 60 minutes.