Semolina and Orange Cake
Servings 12 people
- 300 g semolina
- 175 g soft brown sugar
- 175 g plain flour
- 40 g ground almonds
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 orange zested
- 75 g butter melted
- 250 ml milk
- 6 oranges juiced
- 250 g golden caster sugar
- For the semolina cake, preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4 and grease a 20cm/8in loose-bottomed square baking tin with butter. (If you don’t have a square baking tin, a 23cm/9in round cake tin will also work.)
- Mix the semolina, sugar, flour, ground almonds, baking powder and orange zest together in a bowl until well combined.
- Gradually stir in the melted butter and milk until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased tin and arrange and smooth down.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the cake is golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool further.v
- To make the syrup, put the orange juice and sugar in a saucepan. Simmer over a medium-low heat for about 30 minutes, or until reduced by about half. Set aside to cool.
- Once both the cake and the syrup have cooled somewhat poke holes in the cake with a skewer and then pour over about a third of the syrup until it will absorb no more.
- Server with the remaining syrup.