Sources: Roasted aubergine & tomato curry, Spiced aubergine & coconut curry
Roast Aubergine Curry
Servings 4 people
- 600 g aubergines cut into 2cm chunks
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 cm ginger finely chopped
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 0.5 tsp onion seeds
- 12 curry leaves
- 3 dried red chillies roughly chopped
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 400 g coconut milk 1 tin
- 400 ml chopped tomatoes 1 tin
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Toss the aubergines in a roasting tin with 3 tbsp vegetable oil, season well and spread out. Roast for 30 mins or until dark golden and soft.
- Meanwhile peel and finely grate the ginger and garlic, then peel and very finely slice the onion.
- Add the rest of the oil to a pan, tip in the cumin, onion seeds and mustard seeds and fry until they begin to pop.
- Add the sliced onion along with ½ teaspoon of sea salt, lower the heat and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the onion is soft.v
- Lower the heat slightly, add the curry leaves and dried chillies and continue to cook until the leaves are crisp and translucent. Stir in the ginger and garlic and fry for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomato purée, garam masala, chopped tomatoes and coconut milk. Bring it to a simmer and leave to reduce down for 30 minutes.
- Add the aubergine and leave to simmer for 5 minutes to allow it to absorb the juices and then serve.