Source: Anna Jones’s pea recipes
Peas, Salted Lemon, Ricotta and Date Salad
- 400 g peas freshly podded, about 1kg in their pods
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white-wine vinegar
- 1 lemon
- 250 g ricotta
- 4 dates
- 100 g pea shoots
- Mix the peas with the oil, vinegar and a good pinch of sea salt, then grate over the lemon zest and set aside.
- Cut the lemon in half. Take one half and cut it in half again, picking out any big pips. Rest the flat side of each quarter on the chopping board and slice the lemon, peel and all, as thinly as you can, then put it into a bowl with a good pinch of salt and mix well to make your own, quick preserved lemon.
- Remove the stones from the dates. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat, add a splash of olive oil, then cook the dates for a couple of minutes until they are warm, chewy and are beginning to caramelise.
- When you are ready to eat mix the peas, salted lemon (wash the excess salt off), dates and ricotta together in a salad bowl, squeeze in the juice from the remaining lemon half and then serve.