Source: Rachel Roddy’s recipe for sausage in a red pepper sauce
Pasta with red peppers and sausages
Servings 4 people
- 1 onion small
- 3 red peppers
- 4 pork sausages
- 6 tbsp olivve oil
- 5 tomatoes ripe
- 2 pinches chilli flakes
- 400 g pasta paccheri, rigatoni, penne or papardelle
- parmesan to serve
- Bring a large pan of water to boil for the pasta. Peel and finely slice the onion, and prepare the peppers by cutting out the stalk, opening them up and trimming any white pith and seeds, then cutting the flesh into 2-3cm squares. Slice the casing from the sausages and squeeze out the meat.
- Over a medium-low heat, fry the onion in the olive oil with a small pinch of salt until soft and translucent. Add the chilli and sausage meat, crumbling it with your fingers, then fry, breaking the pieces up with the back of a wooden spoon until the meat is no longer pink – which will take a few minutes. Add the peppers, another pinch of salt and cook – stirring every now and then, for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, once the pasta water is boiling, use it to skin the tomatoes, plunging them in for a minute, lifting them out with a slotted spoon and then running under cold water, at which point the skins should have split and will pull away easily. Chop the tomatoes roughly and add to the pan. Cook for another 15 minutes or until the sauce is rich and thick and the peppers are very soft.
- Add salt to the boiling water, stir, then add the pasta and cook until al dente. In a large bowl, mix the pasta with the sauce, tossing in some grated parmesan if you wish, then serve.