Mexican Pork Pibil
Servings 6 people
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 0.5 tsp black peppercorns
- 8 cloves
- 0.5 tsp ground allspice
- 1 onion peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 dried ancho chillies roughly chopped
- 3 dried chipotle chillies roughly chopped (or half a tin la morena chiptotle chillies)
- 2 limes juiced
- 4 oranges juiced
- 1.5 kg pork shoulder skin removed, chopped into 2cm cubes
- 0.5 red onions finely sliced
- 1 lime juiced
- Add the cumin seeds, black peppercorns and cloves to a pan and heat for a few minutes until lightly toasted and then grind in a spice grinder or pestle and mortar.
- Add the dried spices to a food processor along with the onion, chilli peppers, orange juice and lime juice and blend to a paste.
- Add the pork cubes to the marinade and leave to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Mix the thinly sliced red onion with the lime juice and set aside for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C fan.
- Add the pork and marinade to a large cast iron pot with a lid and bring to a boil then put the lid on and transfer to the oven. Cook for 3 hours stiring every 45 minutes, if it starts drying out add a splash of water.
- Serve with the pickled onions.