Leek and Kimchi Soup
Servings 6 people
- 4 leeks trimmed and sliced
- 3 onions peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 30 g butter
- 400 g kimchi
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 l vegetable stock
- Trim and slice the leeks, giving them a good wash in a colander to get rid of any grit. Peel and finely slice the onions and garlic. Place a large saucepan or casserole on a medium-low heat and add the olive oil and half of the butter, and all the sliced vegetables. Season with sea salt and ½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper. Sauté for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until everything has cooked down and is sticky and golden in colour.
- If your kimchi is made using quite large pieces, run your knife through it to shred it, then stir through with the bay leaf and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and reduce to a simmer for 15 more minutes.