Source: How to cook the perfect chocolate biscuits
Servings 20 biscuits
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 150 g butter at room temperature
- 130 g caster sugar
- 70 g golden syrup
- 215 g plain flour
- 45 g cocoa powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- Start by roughly chopping the chocolate into shards of the kind of size you’d like to find in a biscuit.
- Put the butter in a food mixer and beat briefly to soften, then add the sugar and syrup, and beat on a medium speed for about five minutes, scraping down the bowl as necessary, until fluffy.
- Meanwhile, sift together the flour, cocoa powder and salt. With the mixer running on a low speed, add the dry ingredients and continue mixing until everything comes together into a dough. Which it will, don’t worry.
- Roll into a sausage shape about 5cm in diameter. Wrap well and chill for at least 30 minutes, and up to 10 days.
- Heat the oven to 180C (160C fan)/350F/gas 4 and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper. Cut the sausage into thin rounds and arrange, fairly well spaced out, on the trays. Bake for 25 minutes (for crisp biscuits; or 15 for squidgy, or 20 for somewhere in between), then leave to cool on the baking tray.