Servings 4 people
- 200 g channa dal
- 1 l water
- 0.5 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 1 onion onion peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 3 cm ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 0.5 tsp chilli powder
- 0.25 tsp turmeric
- 0.5 tsp garam masala
- 0.5 tsp asafoetida
- Soak the channa dal in cold water for 1 hour. After an hour drain the lentils and add them to a pan with the water and the turmeric and simmer for 1 hour until they become soft and start to break up.
- Meanwhile dry fry the cumin, coriander and fenugreek seeds for a couple of minutes until they start to brown and them grind them in a spice grinder.
- Melt the butter in a pan and cook the onion until it becomes light brown and then add the garlic. After a minute add the chopped tomatoes, ginger and green chilli.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until the tomatoes start to break down nicely and then add all of the dried spices and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the lentils and their stock to the sauce and cook for 6 minutes until it starts to thicken up a bit and then serve.