Source: Slow-cooker lamb shanks
Braised Lamb Shanks in Red Wine Sauce
Servings 4 people
- 2 lamb shanks about 1kg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 250 ml red wine light red wine (such as pinot noir)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 100 ml tomato passata
- 500 ml beef stock
- 2 carrots
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- Pre heat the oven to 150C fan.
- In a large oven proof pan heat the olive oil and then add the shanks and brown all over and then set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and fry gently until it starts to turn translucent, then stir in the tomato purée and flour and cook for a minute.
- Add the red wine and bring it to a boil, stirring the flour and purée into the wine until you have a smooth sauce around the onion pieces.
- Pour the stock into the same pan and bring it to a boil then add the tomato passata, carrots garlic, bay leaves, and thyme as well as some salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan with a lid and place in the oven to simmer for 2 hours, turn the lamb shanks after an hour.
- Remove the lid and cook for a further hour to reduce the sauce. Turn the shanks every 20 minutes to prevent them from drying out.