Source: Braised beef with chilli & vinegar
Braised Beef with Chilli & Vinegar
Servings 4 people
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 kg beef shin boneless, chopped into 2cm pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 onion large, diced
- 1 star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 6 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 250 ml Shaoxing wine
- 2 tbsp soy sauce light
- 2 tbsp soy sauce dark
- 250 ml Chinkiang black vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1.5 tbsp chilli bean paste
- 500 ml chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Add oil to a deep frying pan big enough to fit the beef shin and place on a medium-low heat.
- Season the shin with salt then add to the pan. Colour on all sides until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the pan and reserve. Add onion, star anise and cinnamon to the pan. Sweat for about 5 minutes, then add garlic and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add Shaoxing wine, scraping the bottom of the pan, then add both soy sauces, black vinegar, sugar and chilli bean paste. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 2 minutes. Add stock, bring to a simmer, then check seasoning.
- Transfer the beef shin into a casserole dish or heavy-bottomed oven tray. Carefully add sauce – it should cover half to three-quarters up the shin (add a little boiling water if needed), then cover tightly with foil or a lid. Cook in the oven for 6 hours, until the beef falls off the bone easily.
- Remove from the oven, allow to sit for 20 minutes. Carefully transfer the shin and sauce to a deep serving platter. Garnish with coriander and crispy-fried onions and serve.