Source: Yotam Ottolenghi’s recipes for autumn traybakes
Berbere-Spiced Chicken, Carrots and Chickpeas
Servings 6 people
- 1 onion large, peeled and roughly chopped (220g net weight)
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and roughly chopped
- 45 g coriander stalks (25g) and leaves (20g) separated, and both roughly chopped
- 2.5 tbsp berbere spice
- 2.5 tbsp tomato paste
- 2.5 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 800 g carrots cut into 4-5cm lengths
- 800 g tinned chickpeas 2 tins, drained
- 12 chicken thighs and drumsticks 6 of each
- 3 oranges 1 left whole, the others juiced, to get 100ml
- Heat the oven to 220C (200C fan)/425F/gas 7. Put the onion, garlic, coriander stalks, berbere spice, tomato paste, honey, a tablespoon of vinegar, four tablespoons of oil, a teaspoon and three-quarters of salt and a good grind of pepper in a food processor and blitz to a smooth paste.
- Scrape this into a large, roughly 34cm x 26cm roasting tray and add the carrots, chickpeas, chicken, orange juice and 150ml water. Toss everything together to coat and combine, then arrange the thighs skin side up on top, so they’re just nestled in the mix.
- Tightly cover the tray with foil, bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for 40 minutes more, rotating the tin once halfway, until everything is cooked through and nicely coloured. Remove from the oven and leave to settle slightly for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, segment the whole orange and roughly chop the flesh. Put this in a medium bowl with the coriander leaves, the last two tablespoons each of vinegar and oil, an eighth of a teaspoon of salt and a good grind of pepper, and mix to combine.
- To serve, spoon the coriander salsa all over the top of the chicken and serve directly from the tray.
paul whittaker · 14 August 2022 at 9:08 am
I could eat this dish 3 times a week, not to mention the Berbere Spiced Chicken in the dish !!