Source: Beef adobo
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 800 g beef shin chopped into 2cm cubes
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 180 ml sherry vinegar
- 180 ml soy sauce dark
- 2 tsp dark brown sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1 head garlic about 20 cloves, peeled
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Fry the beef for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned all over, then set aside.
- Tip out any excess oil. Add the stock and scrape up any of the caramelised sticky bits. Add the coconut milk, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, star anise, garlic, bay leaves and chillies.
- Return the beef to pan. Bring to the boil and then simmer, covered, for about 2-3 hours, until the meat is tender. Skim any fat off the surface, if necessary. Season to taste.