Source: Barbecued mackerel with ginger, chilli & lime drizzle
BBQ Mackerel with Ginger, Chilli & Lime Drizzle
Servings 4 people
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 mackerel gutted and cleaned
- 1 red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 3 cm fresh ginger finely chopped
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 limes zested and juiced
- 1 tsp seasame oil
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- Light the barbecue and allow the flames to die down until the ashes have gone white with heat. Make the drizzle by whisking 2 tbsp olive oil and all the other ingredients together in a small bowl, adjusting the ratio of honey and lime to make a sharp sweetness. Season to taste.
- Score each side of the mackerel about 6 times, not quite through to the bone. Brush the fish with the remaining oil and season lightly. Barbecue the mackerel for 5-6 mins on each side until the fish is charred and the eyes have turned white. Spoon the drizzle over the fish and allow to stand for 2-3 mins before serving.